to my dream home There

San Diego, CA
My dream house...
A friend asked me awhile back what it is that draws me toward Modern architecture and furniture. I was surprised by how quickly the answer came tumbling out my mouth. I had never really even thought much about it.
My taste has morphed over the years. As a kid I hated that my house had a flat roof. I just wanted a traditional house with a NORMAL pitched roof. Isn't it silly that even mattered to me? I grew up in the desert with a xeriscaped yard--long before it was chic to go green. Forget the cacti and Palo Verde trees-- I just wanted a lawn for Pete's sake! It wasn't till much later I came to appreciate and really love the simplicity of having a home and yard that blend in with their surroundings. Mr. Wright taught me that lesson.
My affair with design started relatively young. In 8th grade I started checking out books from the library and buying textbooks at Goodwill on the subject. With my father as an artist, I was continually being tutored in color theory and form without really knowing it. I went through several phases before settling in on my personal aesthetic. And while I can truly appreciate styles from Mission Revival to Neo-Byzantine to Queen Anne to Craftsman--nothing but Modern feels like home.
Why?
I'm too busy. I'm constantly finding ways to be too busy. All the time. Kind of an obsession.
The clean lines in Modern Architecture are the perfect backdrop to my cluttered brain.
My taste has morphed over the years. As a kid I hated that my house had a flat roof. I just wanted a traditional house with a NORMAL pitched roof. Isn't it silly that even mattered to me? I grew up in the desert with a xeriscaped yard--long before it was chic to go green. Forget the cacti and Palo Verde trees-- I just wanted a lawn for Pete's sake! It wasn't till much later I came to appreciate and really love the simplicity of having a home and yard that blend in with their surroundings. Mr. Wright taught me that lesson.
My affair with design started relatively young. In 8th grade I started checking out books from the library and buying textbooks at Goodwill on the subject. With my father as an artist, I was continually being tutored in color theory and form without really knowing it. I went through several phases before settling in on my personal aesthetic. And while I can truly appreciate styles from Mission Revival to Neo-Byzantine to Queen Anne to Craftsman--nothing but Modern feels like home.
Why?
I'm too busy. I'm constantly finding ways to be too busy. All the time. Kind of an obsession.
The clean lines in Modern Architecture are the perfect backdrop to my cluttered brain.

No comments:
Post a Comment