Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Three & me

I have written this post several times over and pressed delete. I just can't seem to convey how healing these photos are for me. Richard took them when I was pregnant. I don't have much in the way of pictures to document that time, so his ability to capture the emotion in every moment is especially meaningful. How I look in this photo is exactly how I felt. (And I rarely think I look real in photos.)
One especially difficult day, I opened my front door to find this:
A series taken just days before giving birth.
I was laughing with a dear friend and felt so at peace with my life. I distinctly remember thinking,"This is the happiest I have ever been". I knew I was where God wanted me. I knew I was doing exactly what I was supposed to be. I knew everything would work out. And while things turned out differently than we expected, that memory is so comforting. I hadn't noticed Richard in the corner of the room saving these moments for me--a time capsule. I'll always have them. When I look at this frame, I can feel that peace all over again. It is a cool, refreshing breeze.
I called Richard to ask if I could pick his brain for a few minutes. He was so generous with his time and we talked for over an hour. I wanted to understand as an artist, how someone can become invisible yet send good energy to help the subject look their best/most natural. Do you know how rare that is? What kind of skill that requires? The more a photographer can disappear, the better they capture life as it truly is, not a posed version of it (goodness knows I don't do posed). How does one do that? Of course there are times the photographer needs to contribute a bit more, and that is a whole 'nother skill---knowing when to do it. He happens to be quite proficient at this too.
His eclectic background helped me comprehend where he acquired his abilities. Yet, he is so accessible. He's lived this crazy cool life, but when he's capturing photography, it's all about the subject. I planned to tell you all about it, but really, his photographs speak for themselves. If you are looking for a photographer to document a pregnancy, party or some other event---give him a call. Seriously. And look at his website. You will be moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment