Sunday, November 1, 2009

borrowing

I borrow traditions.
If it works, if it gets me through, if it brings the spirit, I believe it to be good.

Sunday
was El Dia de los Muertos - The Day of the Dead in Latin cultures. A year ago, Nov. 1-- Marinah called from deep in Chiapas, Mexico. She heard about the boys and wanted to honor them. She lit candles. I decided to do the same.

Judaism provides a beautiful, structured approach to mourning that involves three stages. When followed, these stages guide mourners through tragic loss and pain and gradually ease them back into the world.

I have felt quite connected with mourning traditions of the Jewish faith over the last year. The symbolism in these practices resonates with me and coincides quite well with my own beliefs and values.
Technically, the stage (Shiva) in which mourners refrain from cutting their hair ends after 30 days.
I wasn't ready.
I thought maybe at 6 months, then 9.
Saturday, I was ready.

One lock...



12 inches donated to Locks of Love.
An inch for every month.


I want to say my deepest, most heartfelt thank you to everyone who has been there for us this last year. Whether it be a hug, email, text or phone call---I'm not sure I can adequately express my gratitude for our friendships and the ways in which you have sustained my spirit.
I have awesome updates on the blanket project and yet another
Big reveal.
(no, it's not about me)

No comments:

Post a Comment