Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Cusp-- GratiTuesday week 1

Have you ever felt that you are just on the verge of something in your life? That some change is going to happen and you need to prepare yourself? I've been feeling this for a few weeks now and I have to admit it scares me. Not that I sense it will be bad necessarily, but I am generally never excited for change in my life--- I like things to stay the same.
Sunday I gave the sharing time (lesson) in Primary. The theme for that week was, "Jesus Christ is a God of Miracles". I asked the children to read various scripture stories of the miracles Christ performed while he was upon the earth--- they matched them to paintings depicting these miracles. I can't really articulate what I felt at one moment, but a light went on for me. I know that when we have real faith in Jesus Christ and his ability to perform miracles in our lives, we cannot fear. Because faith is the opposite of fear. I know that this principle is true, and so it got me thinking the rest of that day and into this week. Why do I brace myself for every change? Why am I so worried that things will not stay the same? Why do I fear, even try to avoid the labor and birth of a new and more perfect life when I know that if I surrender, the process is not only less painful, but beautiful?
I know he can perform miracles and suppose that deep down, that fear is really about not having complete faith that he will for me.
In that moment I was reminded of how many miracles have already been performed in my life. Fear is perpetuated by my inability to recognize and be grateful for what I already have. Because of my ingratitude I cannot have perfect faith.
And so in the spirit of improving, I will work on recognizing what I am grateful for every Tuesday.
GratiTuesday.
Today, I am grateful for these perfect feet.