Tuesday, December 21, 2010

GratiTuesday

Today I am most Grateful that this Christmas season gives me the opportunity to reflect upon the life of Christ. This year I especially loved the First Presidency's Christmas Devotional. (read or watch the messages HERE).
Elder Uchtdorf made me love him even more when he quoted Dr. Seuss (HERE). He spoke to my heart...
"
Every Who
Down in Who-ville
Liked Christmas a lot . . .
But the Grinch,
Who lived just north of Who-ville,
Did NOT!

Perhaps the Grinch’s story is so memorable because, if we are honest, we may be able to relate to him. Who among us has not felt concern over the commercialization and even greed of the Christmas season? Who hasn’t felt overwhelmed by the packed calendars, the stress of finding gifts, the pressure of planning meals and events? In fact, psychologists tell us that during this season of cheer and goodwill, many feel sorrow and depression.

We know what the Christmas season ought to be—we know it should be a time of reflection on the birth of the Savior, a time of celebration and of generosity. But sometimes our focus is so much on the things that annoy and overwhelm us that we can almost hear ourselves say in unison with the Grinch: 'Why, for fifty-three years I’ve put up with it now! I MUST stop this Christmas from coming! . . . But HOW?' ---"


It seems that so many years, Christmas comes and goes for me and when it is all said and done I feel that I've missed it. So today I'm making some specific goals for the next week to help me remember the "reason for the season", as they say. You've probably already done that. And that is why you, my friends are the best.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this, Emily!!!! This is exactly how I feel. I feel like a BIG Grinch because I don't even want to exchange gifts this year. Not because I don't want to give, but just that I don't think I can ever give enough to the people I love... not to mention, I don't want me or anyone else to get stuck in the "me me me" attitude... that's not what is important, and I'm not sure HOW to share that with my family!!! So overwhelming, but how thankful I am for a Savior that was born, and time to reflect on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adree,
    I think we all feel some Grinch inside. Wasn't this talk the BEST?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this talk! Oh, how true it is! I tell myself, each year, that I will make it a more service-filled/reflective Christmas season.

    ... Can't say as it's ever happened.

    But the thought occurred to me: "Service is not something reserved for Christmastime!" *duh* - So, I'll just try and make it more a part of our regular business. :)

    I realized that, although I DID try to slow down this Christmas - I didn't necessarily fill it with the reflections I intended to. ... next year!

    ReplyDelete