So Mel Mck posted on her blog about her daughter Gracie (who bytheway is as cute as a kitten's nose)--and the prospect of starting her in dance.
I have no filter and I comment on everyones' blog.
After commenting enough on her blog to create my own post I decided to do just that. So for my blog today I used my endless, unsolicited comment(s--plural), with a tiny bit of expounding.
I loved ballet as a child and still greatly appreciate the foundation it gave me as a dancer. I feel that ballet technique is so helpful with most forms of dance. However, that being said, my genetics did not find hardcore ballet to be so friendly. I struggled with knee and hip flexor issues. And my feet. Oh my.
In college my focus was ballet based modern choreography. It has all the benefits of ballet technique, but is healthier for the joints etc. Plus, lets be honest. I love to roll around on the floor like a 4 year old
I have no filter and I comment on everyones' blog.
After commenting enough on her blog to create my own post I decided to do just that. So for my blog today I used my endless, unsolicited comment(s--plural), with a tiny bit of expounding.
I loved ballet as a child and still greatly appreciate the foundation it gave me as a dancer. I feel that ballet technique is so helpful with most forms of dance. However, that being said, my genetics did not find hardcore ballet to be so friendly. I struggled with knee and hip flexor issues. And my feet. Oh my.
In college my focus was ballet based modern choreography. It has all the benefits of ballet technique, but is healthier for the joints etc. Plus, lets be honest. I love to roll around on the floor like a 4 year old
and modern dance justifies that.
When Morris is old enough, I plan to search for a creative movement class for children. Body awareness is the first major tool to be aquired anyway for any would-be dancer or anyone really. Controlling their own bodies is the first type of control children have over themselves. It is the first step toward developing internal control and self-discipline.
If my children have a special interest in ballet alone, I will support that and assist them in pursuing that then. Really, I feel one of my jobs as a parent is to help my children discover all the options they have to explore in terms of their outlets and passions. There are just so many forms of dance (and art in general), and if children are exposed to those choices, I think they know what feels good in their bodies.
I am such a huge advocate of movement classes for children--Girls and Boys alike. I had boy friends in my dance classes as a child who grew up to be great athletes-- Some of the girls did too. Its mainly about that body awareness stuff. The skills learned in dance can be applied to so many activities in life.
All this being said. Morris may very well be a left-brained, analytical, mathematician. And I'll say,
When Morris is old enough, I plan to search for a creative movement class for children. Body awareness is the first major tool to be aquired anyway for any would-be dancer or anyone really. Controlling their own bodies is the first type of control children have over themselves. It is the first step toward developing internal control and self-discipline.
If my children have a special interest in ballet alone, I will support that and assist them in pursuing that then. Really, I feel one of my jobs as a parent is to help my children discover all the options they have to explore in terms of their outlets and passions. There are just so many forms of dance (and art in general), and if children are exposed to those choices, I think they know what feels good in their bodies.
I am such a huge advocate of movement classes for children--Girls and Boys alike. I had boy friends in my dance classes as a child who grew up to be great athletes-- Some of the girls did too. Its mainly about that body awareness stuff. The skills learned in dance can be applied to so many activities in life.
All this being said. Morris may very well be a left-brained, analytical, mathematician. And I'll say,
"Sweets, I don't know where you came from, but good for you. I suport you in that--just can't help you with your science homework. Call uncle Nate".
i'm so glad you did a post on this. it was only recently that i started worrying about this because of the pain in my knee. traditional ballet can be killer on your body but it's really the only thing i have a specific talent in. modern and my body don't work together well.
ReplyDeletethanks so much for your input. we'll have to chat together in person about this all sometime.
Oh mel. I totally understand when you love something but it is too much. Running and my body don't work well together either. Love it. Can't do it.
ReplyDeleteNo, his mom and dad gave him artistic genes. I know this as I took care of him at his mom's concert and he loves music and her.
ReplyDelete