Tuesday, February 12, 2008

It's Easy Being Green




My little man has sensitive skin. I've learned over the past few months just how sensitive it is. I can no longer use traditional cleaners in my home. As I run out of stuff, I've started replacing it with non-toxic, environmentally friendly products or making homemade recipe cleaners. I must admit, at first I was bummed. I liked my Lysol and Comet.
But I realized something. I smelled some Pledge yesterday, promptly got a HEADACHE the size of Alaska and just about tossed my cookies.
I think I killed a few brain cells in my past cleaning life.
That explains a lot.

The other thing I learned is that it doesn't necessarily have to be more expensive to go green when you clean (which was one reason I never tried to before). You can use homemade recipes--or if you'd rather buy, when you shop at Sprouts, just take a peek in the cleaning isle. You'd be surprised that there is always something on sale. Either they are doing a line drive to promote a new product line, or they are clearing out a brand. Also, many natural brands are concentrated, so as to cut down on packaging. This means they go a lot further than traditional bottles the same size. As well as leaving a smaller ecological footprint on the earth.

Concentrated=Fewer Fillers=Less Waste=Less Packaging=Less Energy Used In Shipping=Better Value (CHEAPER;)

Yesterday I finished my last traditional bottle. We are completely Green, Baby!

(At least, when it comes to cleaning)...

Do any of you have living green tips for this newbie?

Doesn't need to be cleaning related.--Comments welcome: )

Links:

Biokleen

Seventh Generation

Here are some homemade recipes found on Nature Mom's blog that I use to clean.

Can we say CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP?!?:

Furniture Polish - 1 cup olive oil, 1/2 lemon juice. Mix in a spray bottle and shake before every use. Spray on rag and then rub furniture.
Window Cleaner - Put 1/4 cup vinegar in a spray bottle along with several lemon peels and then fill to the top with water. Spray all surfaces and use a lint free rag to wipe off. Crumpled newspaper works well to wipe up after too.
Scented Soda Scrub - Mix several cups of baking soda with several drops of peppermint or Candy Cane blend essential oils. It smells heavenly and can be used as a deodorizer too. Often times I sprinkle it on carpet and then vacuum to make the whole house smell yummy. I use this along with my window cleaner to clean tubs and sinks.
Wood/Tile Floor Cleaner- For floors I use a small amount of
Dr. Bronner’s Castille Soap diluted in water and a 1/2 cup vinegar. Plain vinegar and water works too. I use a broom and dustpan to sweep them first and I wash them by putting two cloth rags on the floor and sliding around on them with my feet…no mops. It is a good workout. Just put on some music…and away we go. My Sister Luisa Swears by The BEST of ABBA album.
Natural Dishwasher Soap Recipe (I have not used this one--barely found the recipe)

1/2 cup liquid Castille soap *do NOT use regular liquid soap!* 1/2 cup water 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice 3 drops of tea tree extract 1/2 cup white vinegar.

Combine water and castille soap. Stir. Add lemon juice, tea tree extract and vinegar. Stir until evenly blended. Store in a squirt top bottle. Use 2 tablespoons per dishwasher load.

Caution! DO NOT USE regular soap in place of Castille, unless it is low sudsing soap...Otherwise, your dishwasher will overflow!

Natural Carpet Steam Cleaner Recipe
6 qts HOT HOT water4 teaspoons Dr. Bronner's castille soap 1-2 cups white vinegar 25-30 drops of lavender essential oil 30-50 drops GSE(Grapefruit Seed Extract) 1-2 scoops Oxyclean (optional) This will clean carpets and make them smell wonderful too!


3 comments:

  1. i have no suggestions. i've never even considered 'being green' cuz i had no reason to. if gracie had sensitive skin, i would do exactly what you are doing, though.

    i did see that clorox came out with 'simply green' and i trust that brand completely and would consider buying that. gracie is getting into things more after all.

    thanks for makin me think. gracie and i should come visit you and morris sometime. and we'll stay inside the whole time, i don't care what your dad says about vitamin d. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, forget about being green. That little guy is so dang cute. I really can't stand it that I don't get to eat him up everyday. Oh my goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohmygosh. I haven't looked here since wednesday. I have 2 comments! You guys made my day. I'm such a sucker for comments. Love to get 'em. Love to give 'em. Happy Late Valentines everyone and feel the love.

    ReplyDelete