Sunday, May 4, 2008

Cinco de Mayo/International Midwife Day/my b-day

Midwife- Marinah Farrell



May 5th. Big day.
First, Cinco de Mayo.
Second, International Midwife Day
Third, Emily born in 1981

Well, growing up I always thought that the parties on the news for Cinco de Mayo were for my birthday. I thought all those people were just so excited I was born. Yeahhhh.

Emily lives in a neighborhood in which mariachi music is played excessively in the summer. Her birthday is the same as Cinco de Mayo.
Coincidence? I think not.

International Midwife Day
May 5th is the International Day of the Midwife. This day honors midwives, who deliver 80% of the babies born worldwide.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has noted the impact midwifery care has on improving infant mortality and reducing cesarean birth rates. WHO also recommends the training of more professional midwives, as they are the appropriate care providers for normal pregnancy and birth.
Although midwives currently deliver only 4% of the babies born in the United States, that number is expected to grow quickly. More and more states are looking at midwives as providers for vital maternity care services.
Emily has thought about training as a midwife. International Midwife day the same as her Birthday. Coincidence?

I think not.

7 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Emily!

    Virgin margaritas and tacos are definitely in order for this birthday girl. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy happy birthday! i think you would make a great midwife, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! I meant to tell you yesterday in RS but I didn't get the chance. Hope you have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow-- big day :) Ya for the midwives. I thought about having one buuut, I trained my hubby pretty well. And my mom-- what a power house. She had all of us with midwives. I am going to look into it though with our next one. Waterbirth anyone?? p.s. You'd make an excellent midwife. p.p.s I never realized you were born in 1981, I always thought you were SO much older than me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys for the well wishes! I felt the love on my B-day. And Amber, I'm all about the water birth. If you're interested, I'll let you borrow my pool for your next one. It made such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to you!! (only a few days late...sorry love)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! Happy belated Birthday sweet thing! I am sorry to hear you were sick.. that is never fun but weight loss.. hmmm.. have a beautiful day to day to make up for it!

    ReplyDelete