I took this photo in August, just prior to one of the intensely beautiful Arizona monsoons. If you are not familiar with these warm summer storms-- they come quickly, unannounced, and blow and rage with the fiercest of winds. After clouds have parted and the rain has subsided, the desert feels refreshed, renewed and purified. Baptised. Growing up as a child in the desert, the clean smell after a monsoon is my favorite memory. On this day in August, I took Morris on a walk of our street so he could experience a monsoon before and after. When I looked up at the sky a marvelous feeling washed over me. Words cannot express exactly what I felt, and looking back I know the Lord was preparing my heart for what was to come. I thought, "How simultaneously sad, and exquisite". The thought of death briefly passed through my mind. I took this picture to remind myself of the moment.
The birth and death of our boys came quickly, unannounced and is proving to be the fiercest storm of our lives. And yet, even in the middle, I can see the exquisite beauty of it all. We are clinging to each other and to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The knowledge of eternal families has never been so important and we know we will be purified if we stay true to these principles. We look forward to that time when the clouds will part and all is clean. We will see Sheldon and Thomas again. We know it. And you can know it too.
Emily- this is so beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing so much of yourself with all of us.
ReplyDeleteEmily--as I was reading I was thinking that you might want to plant a Creosote plant when you are back at your new (former) place. Every time you water it, it smells just like the desert after a rain. Wonderful! It could be a nice reminder of renewal. :)
ReplyDeletelove you all very much.
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to let you know that we are thinking of you and praying for your comfort. I am so grateful that you have the gospel to cling to right now. I also have twins. Often I think of the miracle of twins and about how these little ones have each other in life and in death. What a special gift to have from such a loving Heavenly Father. As I think of the sorrow your family is going through, it brings me comfort to know that Thomas and Sheldon have always and will always have each other and have such a lovely family here on earth that can't wait to see them again.
ReplyDelete