Sunday, April 26, 2009

Pants on fire...

Remember me, only a week ago, swearing I would never speak in church?
I lied.
Bishop asked me to bare my testimony in Sacrament Meeting since it was our last week in the Park Center ward. What am I going to do, Say "No, it would disappoint my readers."?
So I cheated.
I wrote every. word. down and read, and reread it over and over.
Until it said exactly what I meant.
It felt nice.
To say what I felt.
And make sense...

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you overcame a pretty big hurdle...kudos to you! Speaking in public can be very trying, especially on such touching issues as spirituality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I wish I could have heard it. I always feel incoherent when I speak in public and usually can't remember anything that I said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ALWAYS have to write my talks down, word for word. Testimonies are hard, because I don't even think I'm going to go up there - until my heart won't stop beating! I bet it was nice to know beforehand!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Em! I totally understand what you went through. I was asked to give my testimony at the Christmas Eve service at our church and I did the same thing as you-wrote it all down, read through it, said it aloud at home and even brought a note card up to the front with highlights just in case I forgot. My heart was pounding out of my chest, but it felt good to tackle an obstacle or fear of mine. I did the same thing with cutting off my hair. It was all the way down my back, and I had always wanted to donate it but was so fearful. A year ago I decided to let it all go and chopped it to my shoulders! I donated it and the release I felt, even spiritually was tremendous! I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your testimony was amazing Emily. You made me cry! You are so awesome and I am going to miss you in the ward. I am glad I got to know you for the short time I did. I hope we can keep in contact and maybe someday we can visit you in CALIFORNIA! Lucky!! We will miss you and Roger and adorable little Morris!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh good job. Yeah, I had to pray in Sacrament meeting and that was hard! I wasn't excited about it and stuttered a little. Awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I was sitting in the fourth row in your ward last Sunday. Glad you had some warning....that is always nice! I'm sure it was beautiful. I love testimony meetings.

    ReplyDelete