Friday, May 1, 2009

In all honesty

As this posts, we are driving through the desert toward the west coast (Thank you auto-publish). I'm looking forward to 70 degree weather, but this move is kicking my emotional trash upside down.

I am not fishing for comments, but I want you to know I'm not clicking my heels that we are leaving our dear friends and family. This is tough on so many levels.

As the mercury rises, I think of my ancestor Hyrum Smith Phelps, who was ordered by the prophet of the LDS church (Brigham Young) to come to Mesa and settle the land. Hyrum was quoted as saying (sarcastically of course), "The prophet said we could come to Arizona or go to hell. I thought I chose Arizona".

Not long ago, my grandfather Morris Coleman lived across from the Mesa temple as a child (which is now pioneer park). He watched as the temple was constructed. No air conditioning, no fans. They wet down sheets and hung them in the windows of their little 2 bedroom shack, praying for a little breeze to cool them down.

Before I married, I had never spent an entire summer in Arizona (there are perks to both parents being teachers). Poor Roger. As soon as that first May, I was asking when we could move. It's been exactly 8 years, and I recognize how spoiled I've been. I can't imagine having spent this time anywhere else. My roots are here. My heritage is here. Two of my boys are here. I know their spirits are mobile, but I can't help feel a bit like I am abandoning 2 of my children--I think any mother would feel this way. My mind turns to the pioneer women. I've had 6 months, but they burried their children on the trail. I don't know how they did it.

In those early days of the church, the desert purified the saints. The plants, trees, animals, everything that lives here is strong. We must be to survive. My experience has been no different. The people here are solid--They've helped to bear our burdens.

I am forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment