Creative Movement at the MAC
Mo has been loving his class. I was watching through the window chuckling at some of the choices he was making. He wasn't being disruptive, but he is certainly not your cookie cutter kid making cookie cutter choices. I do my best to try and celebrate that. Creative dance is a way for the kids to (within some structure) express themselves in a way unique to them. I think that in our society the "children should be seen and not heard" mentality is all too prevalent. It kinda breaks my heart. Because who doesn't want to really be heard? Really?
And so they're told, "Fit into this mold. Walk in a straight row. Color inside the lines".
Honestly? I feel it's detrimental. Anyway, this is one of the reasons I've considered homeschooling or Waldorf schooling my kiddos. I of course want them to be able to follow necessary direction, understand set parameters and listen respectfully-- but I feel some things need not be so restrictive-- especially at age 3 when their minds are just bursting with all the movement possibilities! If we start limiting their creative choices at that young age, we are actually shaping how their mind pathways work--- how their brain synapses fire and what creative connections they make. He told me afterward he had "so MUCH fun!". It melted my heart.
----
Mo has a soft spot for dogs and cats and lizards and ... insects.
The other day he called me in pointing out an ant on the floor of his room. I of course assuming he wanted it taken care of, mashed it with my foot. He immediately cried out, "Mama! That was my FRIEND!"
(We need to get out more.)
I promised him I would not kill any more ants in his room but I was really just hoping I wouldn't see anymore I'd have to smash while he wasn't looking.
So tonight how could I forget that my son is in need of more insect companionship when he approached me excitedly holding out his hand? He even told me with a HUGE smile on his face, "Mama, it's my buggy friend!" I, with quick reflexes and a cold heart, brushed the ant off, doing away with it. (I mean, he's allergic! An ant bite means a welt the size of a quarter.)
The look of complete disappointment and broken heartedness in his eyes killed me.
Note to self: Ants are Friends around here.

Em, you really are an amazing writer, and you capture this little tenderheart so perfectly. I really want to tackle him on that nice clean and serene bed right now. Throw his bare arms up above his head and be Tickle Monster!
ReplyDeletemy goodness I would love to send my kids to that school. it is so far, though. and all their friends at church go to franklin. It is a hard thing, deciding on a school. SO many things to consider. If we lived closer though I would totally do that school. it looks freakin awesome.
ReplyDeleteEm, We sent Grace to a "great" Gilbert public school for Kinder...and were completely disappointed. This year, we enrolled her in a private school and are in LOVE. Even though we have to drive 45 mintues (one way!) to make it happen, it is well worth it. She has flourished in the smaller classrooms, and the curriculum is more in line with our personal values. It is worth every sacrifice we've made to find a better school option! That being said, I also have several home schooling friends who are doing AMAZING things, I would be happy to connect you with them if you are interested in "real life" advice. I think you're on the right track though with discerning what' best for Mo!
ReplyDeletei love this post em! in fact, as i was reading the first paragraph i was thinking about other forms of schooling and how great that'd be for him, and then your next paragraph says it already! What a sweetie pie he is. I actually love that his is older than Gracee so I can learn from the things you try with him, since they are wired so similar. OH, and I love all these pix!! keep them coming. What a beauty Danny is. I think i remember that green shirt on Mo on a blog post way back when?
ReplyDeleteOkay, he is the sweetest kid around!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I saw Beckham's spirit whither while he was at the public school for just a few short weeks (literally, 4 weeks) and it took 3 times that long at Desert Marigold to build him back up again. But, I am happy to report, He is re-built taller and wider and everything-er (?) than he was before he left my nest in the first place.
I can not say enough good things about the school, ESPECIALLY the early childhood classes!
very interesting post. you continually surprise and intrigue me. ;-)
ReplyDelete