Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Anti-Twilight

Okay.
Edward Cullen is 104 years old. Bella is 17. (I looked it up)
Is that creepy to anyone else?
Discuss.

14 comments:

  1. I'm anti-Twilight too! I'm read the books and I just don't get it. Everyone talks about the amazing love story but all I saw was lust. If you want to read a story of true love read "Actor and the Housewife" by Shannon Hale. I recently read it and sobbed, it was beautiful.

    Anyway, I have a million more reasons why I hate Twilight but the biggest one is Bella is the most uninteresting heroine in any book I have ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Twilight. The rest of the books in the series were crap. The whole blowing it out of proportion like its the best piece of fiction ever is just plain stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Edward's transformation happened at 17. So he's been 17 for 104 years. But still a little weird. I actually enjoyed the whole book series, but it's not for everyone. It's a Teen series, so that is why it's such a big craze right now. Those are the people who watch the VMA's and vote on that stuff. Anyway...going back to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to read any of the twilight books. Honestly don't want to. ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I realize it should be creepy, but it's not. Or maybe I'm the creepy one for not thinking it is. Something else that could be up for discussion. The books sucked me in, sad but true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm listening. Keep it coming ladies! I love the banter. Muah ha ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily, I am almost having a hard time keeping you on my blog roll with Anti-Twilight as your title! haha!

    I do get that it is a teen book. I was completely smitten by the series but never dreamt of Edward. I couldn't put the series down and I did jump on the Twilight bandwagon later in the game so all 4 books were released when I started reading them. I hate vampire anything, but always fall for anything high school and anything forbidden love-ish. My friends said it was "good vampire" book and I was leaving on vacation and needed something to read.

    I still hadn't decided it was going to be Twilight until at a gas station in Bakersfield I saw a girl in a moving truck not putting it down when her friends where jumping out to get munchies. I asked her "is it really that good?" and without taking her eyes from the book she said, "yes". I picked it up and read it my whole vacation on the beach.

    Kaia, my 12 year old, has read the series and re-read some of the books. I won't go that far as to re-read them but I am excited for the movie sequel to come out in November. The books had the perfect amount of 'sitting on the edge of my seat' kind of suspense and a few unexpected twists that I didn't see coming. I loved those parts.

    And I did host a Twilight Pre-Party before going to see the movie. Don't hate me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm SO anti-Twilight. I refuse to read those books. All I've heard about them is that it's a great "love" story. From what I've heard, it's lust, not love. I don't need that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the series. I don't like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter and I hated Actor and a Housewife... People have different likes and dislikes. I find this a very silly debate. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I disagree that the Twilight Saga is solely about lust rather than love. I have a completely different take on it. I think that if the books were about lust, Edward and Bella would have jumped in the sack shortly after they realized they were attracted to one another, rather than waiting until they were married to be intimate. Did they want to jump in the sack before they were married? Sure. Did they? No. In my opinion, their relationship was more about delayed gratification rather than lust. (Well that, and Edward's fear that he might kill Bella if they were intimate due to his freakish strength.) And I think that delaying their gratification helped them love one another even more.

    And yes, they were extremely attracted to one another, and Bella describes (her perception of) Edward's physical perfection frequently. That might be partly because Edward is a really, really ridiculously good-looking vampire (hey, the books are fantasy). But isn't the attraction we feel toward someone what gets us to stick around long enough to really get to know them? And sometimes, getting to know a person is what actually makes them attractive to us. (And sometimes, getting to know a person completely demolishes the attraction we feel and makes them repulsive to us.) When we love someone so much, we tend to think that everything about them is beautiful. Why is it lust to believe that the one we love is the most beautiful creature on the planet?

    I think Edward and Bella made so many extreme sacrifices for one another (and it's fantasy, so of course their sacrifices are above and beyond what the rest of us have to sacrifice for our loved ones in the real world) that to say their relationship is based solely on lust just doesn't really seem accurate to me. The lust would have faded when the going got tough (like by the time James started hunting Bella). They risked their lives for one another so many times, and I don't think they did it for lust. Lust doesn't cut it when a vampire is tracking you.

    But, hey, the books are works of fantasy fiction. Some people just don't like fantasy. (I do. I loved Harry Potter, the Twilight Saga, The Chronicles of Narnia, and am now thinking I need to read "Actor and the Housewife.") If someone doesn't like reading the Twilight Saga, they shouldn't read it. Life's too short. To each her own.



    Signed,

    Emily's 41-year-old sister who thoroughly enjoyed the Twilight Saga

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And no, I don't think an immortal 17-year-old Edward (who's been 17 for a long time) loving a mortal 17-year-old Bella (who will only be 17 for a year) is creepy.

    I'd be more creeped out if Edward loved a 104-year-old woman.

    And I tried to post a link to that story about the 107-year-old Malaysian woman who wants to leave her 30-something husband (who is her 22nd husband), but I couldn't figure out how to do it. Now THAT story is creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Creepy? A generational love story? Ah, nah. I read the series to see what the fuss was about. It was fun, not the most BRILLIANT writing I've ever read (sorry, Stephanie Meyer). Tolkien is the standard for my fantasy writing. But I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I gotta be honest. I'm more creeped out that I am over the moon attracted to a 17 year old vampire. Try that one on for size.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete