
Helping the Bereaved Tip 1: Listen with compassion
We have all worried about what to say to a grieving person, and what we say is important. However, what is more important is being able to listen. Oftentimes, well-meaning people avoid talking about the death or mentioning the deceased person. However, the bereaved need to feel that their loss is acknowledged, that it’s not too terrible to talk about, and their loved one won’t be forgotten.
While we would never want to force anyone to open up, helping them to feel permission to talk about the deceased is what they need and want---even if they choose not to. Just having permission, is helpful. If you sense they want to talk about it, try sensitively asking, "Do you want to talk?". If not, please don't take offense. At some point in the future they may need to. They will remember that you offered to listen and that they are safe opening up with you.
It really helps me when others refer to Sheldon and Thomas, saying how beautiful they were, or commenting how much they look like Roger. It helps me feel open talking about how proud I of them. I love talking about all my boys and especially appreciate when others can share my joy. When I can talk about them, they live on in my life.
-
Accept and acknowledge all feelings. Let the grieving person know that it’s okay to cry in front of you, to get angry, or to break down. Don’t try to reason with them over how they should or shouldn’t feel. The bereaved should feel free to express their feelings, without fear of judgment, argument, or criticism.
-
Be willing to sit in silence. Don’t press if the grieving person doesn’t feel like talking. You can offer comfort and support with your silent presence. Simply offering eye contact, a squeeze of the hand, or a reassuring hug is often all the moment needs.
-
Let the bereaved talk about how their loved one died. People who are grieving may need to tell the story over and over again, sometimes in minute detail. Be patient. Repeating the story is a way of processing and accepting the death. With each retelling, the pain lessens. I have found this to be true with blogging. The more I can release my thoughts surrounding that day, the less it stings. Someone once said they couldn't understand why I blogged---why I was so public with my grief. My response: "It purges the ache for awhile". Talking and crying are both natural pain relievers...
-
Offer comfort and reassurance without minimizing the loss. Tell the bereaved that what they’re feeling is okay. Don’t give unsolicited advice, claim to “know” what the person is feeling, or compare your grief to theirs.
Comments to avoid when comforting the bereaved
- "I know how you feel." One can never know how another may feel. You could, instead, ask your friend to tell you how he or she feels so that you can understand better.
- "It's part of God's plan." This phrase can make people angry and they sometimes respond with (or think), "What plan? Nobody told me about any plan."
- "Look at what you have to be thankful for." They know they have things to be thankful for, but right now they are not important.
- "He's in a better place now." or "You'll see him again after this life". The bereaved may or may not believe this. Death can cause a faith crisis in many. Keep your beliefs to yourself unless asked. Even if the person does have great peace about where their loved one is, to "remind" them of this feels as if you are questioning their faith or diminishing what they feel.
- "This is behind you now; it's time to get on with your life." Sometimes the bereaved are resistant to getting on with life because they feel this means "forgetting" their loved one. In addition, moving on is easier said than done. Grief has a mind of its own and works at its own pace.
- Statements that begin with "You should" or "You will." These statements are too directive. Instead you could begin your comments with: "Have you thought about. . ." or "You might. . ."
You've done such a great job writing about this. I have found it very helpful- it is so hard to know what to say to those who are grieving, no matter how sincere my intentions may be. Usually I just become tongue tied and don't say anything at all. (i know, it is bad!) I know when my mom lost her baby girl, what seemed to help her most was just knowing that people cared- not that they understood, but that they cared. I am glad you have taken the time and found the strength to share your thoughts on this- you are amazing! Miss you so much!
ReplyDeleteOften I want to express my sympathy with someone who has had a loved one die, but I get so nervous that I don't know what the introduction to our conversation should be. Normally it's "Hi, how are you" kind of thing, but I feel like that might be a stupid intro to a person who just lost a loved on. I feel like I do okay after the initial greeting, but that initial step bewilders me. What did you find most appropriate - especially if the person was not a close friend. Thanks for all the tips.
ReplyDeleteBeth and Alisa,
ReplyDeleteThank you both for your comments. It's really normal to feel a little bewildered as to what to say. And knowing you both (and experiencing your kindness) I know you are doing well at "mourning with those who mourn".
Beth~ I felt the same as your mother. I knew that no one could really understand exactly how I felt. But simply knowing they cared and were sorry we had to experience it was what really counted.
Alisa, just know it is really okay (even if you are not close with someone) to acknowledge their loss verbally at the start of your conversation. I know it might feel weird to say it first thing when you see them, but I can guarantee it is on their mind (it's always on their mind). Rather than bring it up later in the conversation, I always appreciated: "I never know what to say in these situations, but I was so sorry to hear your two sons died.". Feel free to verbalize that you are not sure what to say. It validates that they are not sure what to say either. I found that when people didn't bring it up, it's hard to not feel like they don't care. I could intellectually tell myself otherwise, but it was hard not to feel that. Think about how you approached me--- you were great about it! You simply said you were sorry about our loss. Not much else can be said. Actually, when people try to say more is when it gets tricky. Follow their lead--- if they change the subject, then maybe they just want to feel "normal" that day. But you may be surprised that if you let there be silence after you say you're sorry, they may just open up to you. I (surprised myself and) oftentimes opened up to near strangers because they had no expectations of who I was or how they thought I should be feeling. It's kind of an interesting thing. Granted, not everyone feels that way-- but like I said, follow their lead, and they'll let you know what they are comfortable with.
Love you ladies!
I remember one particularly painful anniversary of my brother's death... He'd probably died 5 years before or something but for some reason the anniversary that year STUNG and the grief was so fresh. I called a friend and she said, "It's been 5 years! You cant keep doing this to yourself every single year!" It was shocking. I wanted to hang up.
ReplyDeleteIt's just so true that there are ups and downs. No one can control their grief and shouldn't be expected to. We all just need to be loved through it.
Good stuff, Em.
Emily,
ReplyDeleteMy brother just hit the anniversary of his girlfriend's sudden death, and I was worrying about how to support him. Thank you so much for putting this out there.
iloveyou
Jill~
ReplyDeleteThat must have been incredibly painful, to feel judgment over something so sensitive and personal. And thank you for how you supported me when the boys first died. I remember you sharing your story and letting me know there was no right way to grieve, and to take as long as I needed. That really helped.
Reachel,
I will be thinking of and praying for your brother. What a difficult, layered grief he must have. I haven't talked much about complicated grief here--maybe that's something I should touch on sometime. He's blessed to have such a supportive sister...
love you both~
xoxo